maandag, augustus 28, 2006

Stanbrook Abbey Part I

Blogger is having problems with uploading photos, so I'll publish this post now and get the rest up when I can.

What is it with monasteries and lavender?! Not that I'm complaining, as I love lavender. If I wasn't the furthest conceivable creature from a "green-fingered person" I'd be growing it galore.



A view of St. Mary's: the retreat house. It has a great library with not one but two old Roman Breviaries. VA and I were, all of a sudden, oh-so-tempted to brush off our Latin.

I think St. Mary's was originally built with a chapel attached (my random reading-memory coming into play again). At the time the Abbey church hadn't been built and another one of the monastery's buildings was serving as the oratory. However, for visitors this meant a walk across a garden inside the enclosure, and so St. Mary's was built with its own chapel.



You've got to love noticeboards which tell you the exact time the bookshop is open. Oh yes, and the other very important pieces of information about the Office times, and the Ordo for the week. But yes - BOOKSHOP!



St. Mary's has its own oratory which guests can use. VA and I kind of commandeerd it for Rosary, second Rosary (akin to second breakfast, so beloved of the hobbits), Little Hours and more Rosary. And roping other people into Rosary. And singing salve regina afterwards.



A shot of my room in St. Mary's. I'm deliberately not showing you the other picture of the room that I have, in which there's a stack of books that I'd accumulated by this point.



The courtyard garden. Please pardon the blurriness; it was about twenty past five in the morning and I challenge anyone (who isn't some kind of BBC professional or something similar) to be able to hold a camera steady at that hour.



All too soon it was time to leave. Here's my stuff, ready and waiting for the bus to Worcester (tip: why on earth would a sane person schedule a visit to end on the Assumption?!). Yes, that's a Cologne 2005 bag. venimus adorare eum Emmanuel!



VA and her Swords. The small one on the left is very small and very cute. Please note the Benedictine medal on the one on the right. Tee hee.



The definitive proof: